Monday, April 28, 2014

Felos and Abracadabra - Pastel on Paper 4'x6'
This is a pastel on paper of two of my horses that I photographed several years ago. Abracadabra is the  darker one. He got his name because no one knew his mom was pregnant (or how she got that way!) and one morning the owner went out to feed the horses and there he was - Abracadabra! This painting was done on background photo paper - the kind used for backgrounds when you need one. It's usually several feet wide and comes on a roll, this one is a light gray color. I fixed it with La Tour final fix by Sennelier when it was all finished. The painting is large, 6 feet by 4 feet. I made a line drawing first from the photo and used the projector to get the drawing correct on the paper. Then the real work began. Felos was white, but I didn't like the way it was working so I changed him to a palomino. They were originally standing in tall grass so I couldn't see their feet to paint them. I changed the grass to water with some splashes in it that I thought made it a more interesting painting.



No comments: